Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
State of New York Politicians: Archives
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from State of New York Archives (number of quotes indicated):
- Andrew Cuomo (7) New York Democratic Governor
- Bill de Blasio (2) New York Democratic primary candidate and NYC mayor
- Bill Weld (1) Massachusetts Republican presidential primary challenger
- Bob Turner (6) 2012 Republican Senate Primary Challenger New York
- Charles Schumer (1) Democratic Sr Senator New York
- Cynthia Nixon (2) New York Democratic candidate for governor of New York
- Dan Malloy (1) Connecticut Democratic Governor
- Dave Webber (1) Republican Candidate for New York U.S. Senator New York
- David Paterson (4) New York Former Democratic Governor (2008-2010)
- Elise Stefanik (6) Republican House Member U.S. Rep New York- 21
- George Maragos (3) 2012 Republican Primary Challenger New York
- Hakeem Jeffries (8) Democrat U.S. Rep New York-8
- Howard Mills (4) 2004 former Republican Senate challenger (NY) New York
- Jay Townsend (2) Republican Challenger (2010) New York
- Joe DioGuardi (10) 2010 Republican Challenger New York
- John Katko (21) Republican House Member U.S. Rep New York- 24
- Kirsten Gillibrand (14) New York Democratic candidate for President; New York Senator
- Lee Zeldin (10) Republican House Member U.S. Rep New York- 1
- Rob Astorino (10) New York Republican Gubernatorial Challenger
- Scott Noren (1) Democratic candidate for senator from New York New York
- Steve Mnuchin (2) Secretary of the Treasury
- Tom Foley (1) Connecticut Republican challenger
- Wendy Long (19) Republican Senate Challenger New York
- Zephyr Teachout (13) New York Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Scroll down for headlines, or click for archive from another state:
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
John Katko: No abortion on demand; no federal funding.
Lee Zeldin: Value life & alternatives to parenthood.
John Katko: All life has worth; and cover prenatal care.
Rob Astorino: Opposes abortion, except for rape, incest & maternal life.
Rob Astorino: Philosophically opposed, but won't fight legal abortion.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Majority of women use contraception; it's not "evil".
Kirsten Gillibrand: Let women make life-and-death decision about own body.
Wendy Long: Don't require churches to offer contraception to employees.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Require coverage of contraception, even church employees.
Wendy Long: Conscience exemption: churches need not insure contraception.
Wendy Long: Roe v. Wade was constitutionally flawed legal decision.
Jay Townsend: Roe v. Wade should be overturned.
Hakeem Jeffries: Supports embryonic stem cell research.
Bill Weld: Establish state pro-choice laws in case Roe gets overturned.
Budget & Economy|
John Katko: The Washington Big Spenders' plan just isn't working.
Lee Zeldin: Bloated government's debt has become a great threat.
John Katko: Supports stimulus, to promote business growth.
Rob Astorino: N.Y. is most regulated, least business friendly state.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Tighten our belts but carefully, not a "slash-only approach".
David Paterson: Enforce spending cap, even by constitutional amendment.
Dave Webber: Government cannot regulate wages including gender pay equity.
John Katko: Same-sex marriage has been decided, so no opinion.
Rob Astorino: People from the Bronx drive up costs in Westchester.
Wendy Long: The Democrats cooked up this whole phony "war on women".
Wendy Long: Would never attend a same-sex marriage ceremony.
Bob Turner: The ship has sailed on gay marriage; focus elsewhere.
George Maragos: Publicly advocate the repeal of same-sex marriage.
Andrew Cuomo: Supports same-sex marriage and same rights of marriage.
David Paterson: Increased MWBE state contract participation from 4% to 24%.
Hakeem Jeffries: Supports affirmative action in state hiring & college.
Howard Mills: Reduce regulations on private sector.
Howard Mills: Include sexual orientation in discrimination & hate crimes.
Howard Mills: Restrict marriage to one man and one woman.
Bill de Blasio: Plenty of money in NYC, but it's in the wrong hands.
Dan Malloy: Invest state funds in businesses that preserve in-state jobs.
Zephyr Teachout: Level playing field between family stores and big business.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Access to capital for small business will create jobs.
David Paterson: Replace failed Empire Zone program with Excelsior Program.
John Katko: 2002: formulated the Syracuse Gang Violence Task Force.
Rob Astorino: Block publication of gun owner names and addresses.
Rob Astorino: Address root causes of student violence like mental illness.
John Katko: Capital punishment can be an effective deterrent.
Zephyr Teachout: Disenfranchising due to criminal convictions is undemocratic.
Zephyr Teachout: We have a long way to go on criminal justice reform.
Zephyr Teachout: Give minorities opportunity, not criminal justice system.
Zephyr Teachout: Raise age of criminal responsibility from 16 to 18.
Hakeem Jeffries: Alternative sentencing for non-violent offenders.
Wendy Long: Illegal drugs are destroying our people.
Zephyr Teachout: Marijuana decriminalization, on the path to legalization.
Hakeem Jeffries: Let doctors prescribe medical marijuana.
Howard Mills: Stiffer penalties for drug-related crimes.
John Katko: 100 federal education programs, and no better education.
Lee Zeldin: Grade school students need to be better represented.
John Katko: Make decisions about public schools at local level.
John Katko: Fully fund the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
Rob Astorino: Common Core has been a disaster; replace with local control.
Zephyr Teachout: Public education is the foundation of democracy.
Andrew Cuomo: Follows federal lead in education by emphasizing performance.
Hakeem Jeffries: No abstinence ed nor voluntary prayer in public schools.
Energy & Oil|
Cynthia Nixon: Get off fossil fuels and move to renewable energy.
John Katko: Focus on accessing more North American energy.
Lee Zeldin: Focus on lowering cost of gas & oil.
John Katko: Supports Keystone XL but regulate greenhouse gases.
Andrew Cuomo: Led multi-state effort to lower carbon emissions by 45%.
Rob Astorino: Tap into New York's vast energy resources.
Zephyr Teachout: Reduce carbon emissions& adopt clean sources of energy.
Zephyr Teachout: Ban fracking; it contaminates our groundwater.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Fracking must avoid chemicals that harm drinking water.
Wendy Long: Develop upstate natural gas via fracking.
Wendy Long: Build Keystone pipeline instead of subsidizing solar panels.
Wendy Long: Keystone Pipeline delays are heavy hand of regulation.
Hakeem Jeffries: Produce more oil & gas, but limit greenhouse gases.
Lee Zeldin: Hosts annual "Teach a Kid to Fish Day".
Andrew Cuomo: Commit to a greener future for our children & grandchildren.
Andrew Cuomo: Water policy to protect environment and business interests.
Bob Turner: We have yet to find out who are the bad guys in Syria.
Joe DioGuardi: Yes, I was a lobbyist; to fight Albanian genocide.
Steve Mnuchin: Free market proponent but tariffs OK to reduce trade deficit.
Wendy Long: Vote against multilateral trade agreements and treaties.
Wendy Long: Self-term limit to two terms; never lobby Congress.
Elise Stefanik: Regulation & government mandates stifles economic growth.
John Katko: Regulate campaign contributions from corporations and unions.
Zephyr Teachout: Public financing for all statewide and legislative elections.
Andrew Cuomo: Supports campaign finance reform as fair to all candidates.
Joe DioGuardi: In Congress, served as president of Truth In Government.
Joe DioGuardi: 1987: Voted NO on Congress pay raise; donated his to charity.
David Paterson: Comprehensive ethics reform about what is legal and rampant.
Hakeem Jeffries: Limit campaign spending and donations, but no term limits.
Bill de Blasio: Gun laws are necessary to protect the city and ourselves.
Elise Stefanik: Strongly opposes the NY SAFE Act.
John Katko: Protect the individual right to own a firearm.
Bob Turner: No cross-state reciprocity on carry permits.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Shifted to left because "I fight for my constituents".
Hakeem Jeffries: No concealed carry; yes licenses & background checks.
Cynthia Nixon: No one should suffer due to unaffordable health care.
Elise Stefanik: Repeal ObamaCare and replace with common sense solutions.
John Katko: Reform should be based on the free market.
Lee Zeldin: ObamaCare converts full-time jobs to part-time.
John Katko: Complete overhaul of ObamaCare.
Rob Astorino: ObamaCare meltdown changes the political landscape.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Opposes NYC large sugary drink ban.
Wendy Long: Opposes NYC large sugary drink ban.
Joe DioGuardi: Purpose of reform should have been to reduce the cost.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Investigate insurers until full program initiates in 2014.
Wendy Long: Rebuild our military into an overwhelming American force.
Elise Stefanik: A well-funded Fort Drum helps North Country's future.
John Katko: Provide resources for constant state of military readiness.
Lee Zeldin: Freedom is because America's military is strong.
Andrew Cuomo: $15M for nation's 1st college dedicated to homeland security.
Kirsten Gillibrand: No across-the-board budget cuts to anti-terrorism.
Wendy Long: Support physical walls, virtual walls, and official English.
John Katko: Tough, fair reform that restores the rule of law.
Lee Zeldin: Secure the borders, then deal with 11 million illegals.
John Katko: Require illegal immigrants to return to country of origin.
Zephyr Teachout: Immigrants are a pillar of our economy.
Bob Turner: Wouldn't report illegal immigrant working in his own home.
Joe DioGuardi: Shut down the borders before we reform anything.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Government IDs for illegals as part of comprehensive reform.
Rob Astorino: Illegal immigrants drive up costs of services.
Tom Foley: OpEd: His company moved 3,000 jobs to Mexico.
Wendy Long: Administration has not created jobs in upstate New York.
Scott Noren: We need a jobs bill with national job-stimulating potential.
Joe DioGuardi: Democrats have created a toxic environment for NY jobs.
Principles & Values|
Joe DioGuardi: Gillibrand had a 2-year tryout; now give me a 2-year tryout.
Joe DioGuardi: Accused of making deals in a $1.7 billion Ponzi scheme.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Accused of hiding facts connecting cigarettes and cancer.
Charles Schumer: 1998: demanded 10 debates; 2010: declined all debates.
Jay Townsend: Will debate cardboard cutout of incumbent Schumer.
Elise Stefanik: Entitlements are in jeopardy of going bankrupt.
Lee Zeldin: Make tough decisions to reform entitlements.
John Katko: Honor our promise, but personal retirement accounts ok.
Steve Mnuchin: Bypassing congress to cut taxes on capital gains possible.
Elise Stefanik: Make tax code flatter and fairer for everyone.
Lee Zeldin: Simplify tax code & reduce tax burden.
Zephyr Teachout: No tax breaks for those earning $500,000 to $2 million.
Bob Turner: Close business tax loopholes even if construed as tax hike.
Bob Turner: No anti-tax pledge; keep taxes on the negotiation table.
George Maragos: No-tax pledge; teach the rest of Congress economic theory.
Wendy Long: Don't ever put tax increases on the table.
Wendy Long: Cut taxes & regulations to let job creators create jobs.
Joe DioGuardi: Extend Bush-era tax cuts, even for earners over $250K.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Extend Bush-era tax cuts, except earners over $250K.
Joe DioGuardi: Fined by IRS in 1978 for deducting commodity spreads.
Zephyr Teachout: Open universal broadband: 21st Century Internet.
War & Peace|
John Katko: Use military force to prevent hostile nuclear nations.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Al Qaeda has metastasized; get troops out of Afghanistan.
Wendy Long: Stand with Israel in ensuring Iran does not get nukes.
Wendy Long: No 2014 withdrawal date for troops in Afghanistan.
George Maragos: No military intervention in Syria; but pressure Arab League.
The above quotations are from State of New York Politicians: Archives.
Debates and books for New York:
- 2022-11: 2022 NY Senate race
- 2022-11: 2022 NY Governor's race
- 2020-11: 2020 House NY elections
- 2019-11: Past and present Governor candidates from New York
- 2019-04: The War on Normal People
- 2019-03: National Action Network
- 2019-01: Jacobin Magazine
- 2018-11: NY Congressional representatives, past and present
- 2018-11: 2018 NY Senate race
- 2018-11: 2018 NY Governor's race
- 2018-11: 2018 House NY elections
- 2017-11: Past and present Senate candidates from New York
- 2017-09: What Happened, by Hillary Clinton
- 2017-01: The New York Times 2020s
- 2016-12: United Nations
- 2016-12: State of New York secondary Archives
- 2016-11: Trump campaign vs. Trump administration
- 2016-11: 2016 NY Senate race
- 2016-08: Trump Revealed
- 2016-08: The Making of Donald Trump
- 2016-04: Democratic debate in Brooklyn
- 2016-02: Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues, by Jesse Gordon
- 2015-11: Crippled America, by Donald J. Trump
- 2015-09: Never Enough, by Michael D'Antonio
- 2015-01: The New York Post
- 2014-11: 2014 New York Governor's race
- 2014-10: All Things Possible, by Andrew Cuomo
- 2014-06: Hillary Rodham Clinton New Memoir due out June 1, 2014
- 2014_09: Off the Sidelines
- 2013-01: The New York Times 2010s
- 2012-01: The New York Daily News
- 2011-12: Time to Get Tough, by Donald Trump
- 2011-11: NY legislative records
- 2010-09: Money, Power, Politics, by Joyce Purnick
- 2010-09: 2010 N.Y. Senate Debates
- 2010-08: Newsday
- 2010-04: Think Like a Champion, by Donald Trump
- 2010-03: The Wall Street Journal
- 2010-01: The New York Times
- 2010-01: State of New York Archives
- 2008-09: Think Big by Donald Trump
- 2008-08: Bad Day Since, by Rep. Charles Rangel
- 2007-05: The Full Rudy
- 2007-05: America's Mayor, America's President, by Robert Polner
- 2007-01: Giuliani: Flawed or Flawless?
- 2006-10: Trump 101 by Donald Trump
- 2006-10: New York 2006 Senate Debate
- 2005-04: A Patriot`s Handbook, by Caroline Kennedy
- 2004-10: NY Senate debate
- 2004-03: Trump: How to Get Rich
- 2003-10: Crossroads, by Andrew Cuomo
- 2003-04: Profiles In Courage For Our Time, by Caroline Kennedy
- 2002-10: Leadership, autobiography by Rudolph Giuliani
- 2002-01: The New York Times 2000s
- 2001-08: "Bloomberg by Bloomberg," by Mike Bloomberg
- 2000-11: NY Senate race, third & final debate
- 2000-10: NY Senate race, debate in Manhattan
- 2000-09: NY Senate race, debate in Buffalo
- 2000: Reason to Believe
- 1998-06: An Autobiography by George Pataki
- 1997-10: The Art of the Comeback, by Donald Trump
- 1992-03: In Our Defense, by Caroline Kennedy
- 1989-01: The Art of the Deal
- 1969-01: 13 Days, by Robert F. Kennedy