Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 Kansas Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 KS Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- ACLU (2)
- Carl Brewer (7) Kansas Democratic candidate for Governor
- Greg Orman (3) Kansas Independent candidate for Governor
- Jeff Colyer (11) Kansas Candidate for Governor
- Kathleen Sebelius (1) Kansas Former Democratic Governor (1994-2002); Cabinet Sec'y (HHS)
- Kris Kobach (13) Kansas Republican candidate for Kansas Governor
- Laura Kelly (12) Kansas Democratic candidate for governor of Kansas
- Ron Estes (1) Republican U.S. Rep Kansas-4
- Sam Brownback (2) Kansas Republican Governor
- Wink Hartman (7) Kansas Republican candidate for Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Kansas 2018 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- Topeka Capital-Journal, "Kansas coronavirus update: Gov. Laura Kelly condemns A.G. & legislators," by Sherman Smith, Apr 8, 2020
- Wichita Eagle, "Face off over Medicaid," by Jonathan Shorman, April 02, 2019
- White House press release, "WTAS: Support for President Trump's Successful Trade Negotiations with Mexico and Canada," Oct. 2, 2018
- Wichita Eagle, " Democratic governor candidate Laura Kelly scoffs at Kris Kobach", by Dion Lefler, Aug 26, 2018
- The Topeka Capital-Journal, " Orman makes pitch for job growth; Kelly vows to nurture investment ", Aug 16, 2018
- The Kansas City Star Editorial, "Laura Kelly should be the Democrats’ pick for Kansas governor." August 5, 2018
- Topeka Capital-Journal "Kelly earns Planned Parenthood endorsement," by Tim Carpenter, July 12, 2018
- The Wichita Eagle, "To legalize or not? Here's where candidates for Kansas governor stand on pot," By Jonathan Shorman, June 29, 2018
- Wichita Eagle, "Judge strikes down Kansas voter law," by Jonathan Shorman & Hunter Woodall, 6/18/2018
- Topeka Capital-Journal, “Kris Kobach found in contempt of court,” by Sherman Smith, Apr 18, 2018
- Kansas City Star, "Kansas voters should give Gov. Colyer a pass on LGBT issue--for now," by Steve Rose, March 16, 2018
- Wichita Business Journal, "Colyer: Scrapping NAFTA would be 'devastating' for Kansas economy," by Bryan Horwath, Mar 8, 2018
- Wichita Eagle, "Kansas governor candidates split on order protecting LGBT workers," by Jonathan Shorman, March 01, 2018
- Wichita Eagle (Kansas.com), "Governor of Kansas, not governor of Virginia," by Jonathan Shorman, August 16, 2017
- Topeka Capital-Journal, "Jeff Colyer's voting record as legislator a trove of policy insight," by Tim Carpenter, Aug 14, 2017
- Leavenworth Times, "Hartman hopes to lead state," by Rimsie McConiga, Aug 11, 2017
- The Wichita Eagle, "Colyer poised to become governor," by Jonathan Shorman July 27, 2017
- Wichita Eagle, "Kobach helps gun planks to GOP platform," by Bryan Lowry, July 13, 2016
- The Hill, "Not enough bourbon in Kentucky to make me release voter data," by Max Greenwood, 6/30/17
- Kansas City Star , "Kobach launches campaign," by Bryan Lowry, June 8, 2017
- The Wichita Eagle, "Lawmakers override Brownback veto of tax increases," by Jonathan Shorman and Daniel Salazar, 6/6/17
- The Kansas City Star Op-ed: "Is Lt. Gov. Jeff Colyer a Sam Brownback clone?" by Steve Rose, May 26, 2017
- Wichita Eagle, "Brewer, Hartman try bipartisan campaigning," by Dion Lefler, April 21, 2017
- The Topeka Capital-Journal, "Brewer Offers Democrats a Choice for Governor," Op-Ed by Bob Beatty, Feb. 26, 2017
- Topeka Capital-Journal, "Colyer endorses opening KanCare meetings to public," by Tim Carpenter, February 20, 2017
- The Kansas City Star, "Former Wichita mayor kicks off campaign", by Bryan Lowry, February 20, 2017
- The Wichita Eagle, "Brewer Promises Community Activist Campaign for Governor," by Dion Lefler, Feb. 20, 2017
- Topeka Capital-Journal, "Wink Hartman running for Kansas governor", by Tim Carpenter, Feb. 16, 2017
- Wichita Eagle (Kansas.com), "Kris Kobach views spark intense reactions," by Bryan Lowry, September 26, 2015
- The Butler County Times-Gazette, "Republican's 'Clean Sweep' Bus Tour," by Julie Clements & Belinda Larsen, Oct. 30, 2014
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Laura Kelly: Endorsed by Planned Parenthood.
Jeff Colyer: Staunchly anti-abortion.
Wink Hartman: Protect life from conception to natural death.
Kris Kobach: Planned Parenthood like Nazi doctor.
Budget & Economy|
Greg Orman: Economic development plan instead of lazy tax cuts.
Wink Hartman: Run Kansas like a business.
Wink Hartman: Low balanced budget without political gridlock.
Ron Estes: We returned $65 million to Kansans to help grow the economy.
Jeff Colyer: No commitment to protecting LGBT workers from discrimination.
Jeff Colyer: No executive order banning LGBT worker discrimination.
Kathleen Sebelius: 2007: Prohibit discrimination on basis of gender identity.
Kris Kobach: Do nothing to protect the rights of LGBT workers.
Sam Brownback: 2015: Repeal ban on gender identity discrimination.
Laura Kelly: Experiment of no taxes on businesses drained our budget.
Carl Brewer: Legalize recreational marijuana to diversify farm crops.
Greg Orman: Legalize medical marijuana & decriminalize recreational use.
Jeff Colyer: No proof that marijuana treats any medical conditions.
Kris Kobach: Skeptical of medical marijuana; we can't limit it.
Laura Kelly: Supports medical marijuana and treatment over incarceration.
Laura Kelly: Expand pre-K programs; fully fund our K-12 schools.
Kris Kobach: End in-state tuition for illegal immigrants.
Wink Hartman: Solemn state responsibility to ensure education resources.
Carl Brewer: Same resources for urban/rural schools as wealthy districts.
Energy & Oil|
Laura Kelly: For alternative energy that benefits the state, like wind.
Laura Kelly: Opposes cuts to EPA's funding; environment needs protection.
Carl Brewer: Community partnerships to clean up polluted Superfund sites.
Families & Children|
Kris Kobach: Gay marriage makes it worse for traditional families.
Jeff Colyer: Supports USMCA trade agreement to replace NAFTA.
Jeff Colyer: Devastating impact on Kansas if NAFTA were to go away.
ACLU: Disallow checking citizenship papers to register to vote.
Kris Kobach: Found in contempt for checking voter citizenship to register.
ACLU: Enforce voter registration despite Kansas contempt.
Kris Kobach: Contempt of court for blocking new voter registration.
Kris Kobach: Tighten restrictions on voting.
Jeff Colyer: Supports voter ID requirements.
Kris Kobach: Vice-chair of Presidential Commission on Election Integrity.
Kris Kobach: Fight widespread voter fraud with strict voting laws.
Wink Hartman: Replace dysfunction in Topeka with stability.
Laura Kelly: Supports common sense gun safety measures and safeguards.
Kris Kobach: Opposes restrictions on guns.
Laura Kelly: Ban gatherings over 10, including church, for coronavirus.
Laura Kelly: Expand Medicaid, without further study or compromises.
Jeff Colyer: Helped privatize Medicaid as KanCare.
Jeff Colyer: Open meetings on KanCare instead of invitation-only.
Carl Brewer: We all deserve health care, even the poor.
Wink Hartman: Medicaid expansion is important, but Kansas can't fund it.
Laura Kelly: Wants immigration reform that has clear path to citizenship.
Jeff Colyer: Fought in-state tuition for children of illegal immigrants.
Kris Kobach: Kansas shouldn't be the sanctuary state of the Midwest.
Laura Kelly: Endorsed by United Steelworkers:fighter for working families.
Principles & Values|
Carl Brewer: Bring everyone to the table, across party lines.
Carl Brewer: Hobby is competitive barbecuing: his sauce "Brewer's Best".
Laura Kelly: No more tax cuts; restore balance to the tax system.
Kris Kobach: Keep tax cuts despite state's budget hole.
Sam Brownback: 2012 "march to zero" income tax cuts overturned.
Jeff Colyer: Low taxes & smallest possible government.
Wink Hartman: Simplify the tax-code and promote pro-growth policies.
Greg Orman: $80M for roads to make Kansas the epicenter of distribution.
Welfare & Poverty|
Carl Brewer: Grew up in daily, anxious poverty.
The above quotations are from 2018 Kansas Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2017-18 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)